Forget the idea that there are distant prospects of super-intelligent machines eroding our core values in the future. We need to face up to AI changes in the current moment.
Some examples are the risk of being hit by self-driving cars. Election by bot and Deepfake video clips are two other AI concerns that undermine democracy, communications and truth.
Facial recognition may be the immediate AT worry that concerns many of us the most.
This image is from the BBC.com article “Central London in Facial Recognition Trial”. (1)
The article says: Elizabeth Denham, who was appointed Information Commissioner in July 2016, said in a blog published earlier this year that the technology could bring “significant public safety benefits”.
However, she said its application could also be “particularly intrusive”, and represented a “real step change in the way law-abiding people are monitored as they go about their daily lives”.
That word intrusive was a little warning. Other articles warn us in a much harsher, and perhaps more realistic, way.
A new report from the AI Now Institute (2), an influential research institute based in New York, identified facial recognition as a key challenge for society and policymakers.
A report from UCLA says “The role of AI in widespread surveillance has expanded immensely in the U.S., China, and many other countries worldwide”.
In fact, the technology has been adopted on an even grander scale in China. This often involves collaborations between private AI companies and government agencies. Police forces have used AI to identify criminals, and numerous reports suggest it is being used to track dissidents.
AI machine learning can identify people’s faces in photos and video footage with great accuracy. This technology has grown with stunning speed and we should have concerns beyond the Chinese government using facial recognition.
WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. George Orwell, 1984
It’s ironic that George Orwell wrote 1984 in England because this is where democracy may be losing its most important element, the right to privacy, at the fastest pace.
Facial recognition is here with us now in the Western World according to an article with a deeper warning at Techdirt.com (3). The bolds are mine.
The article says: The DHS is shoving it into airports — putting both international and domestic travelers at risk of being deemed terrorists by tech that just isn’t quite there yet. In the UK — the Land of Cameras — facial recognition tech is simply seen as the logical next step in the nation’s sprawling web of surveillance. And Amazon is hoping US law enforcement wants to make facial rec tech as big a market for its cloud services and online sales.
Thanks to its pervasiveness across the pond, the UK is where we’re getting most of our data on the tech’s successes. Well… we haven’t seen many successes. But we are getting the data.
And the data indicates a growing threat — not to the UK public from terrorists or criminals, but to the UK public from its own government.
London cops have been slammed for using unmarked vans to test controversial and inaccurate automated facial recognition technology on Christmas shoppers.
The Metropolitan Police are deploying the tech today and tomorrow in three of the UK capital’s tourist hotspots: Soho, Piccadilly Circus, and Leicester Square.
The tech is basically a police force on steroids — capable of demanding ID from thousands of people per minute. Big Brother Watch says the Metro tech can scan 300 faces per second, running them against hot lists of criminal suspects. The difference is no one’s approaching citizens to demand they identify themselves. The software does all the legwork and citizens have only one way to opt out: stay home.
Given these results, staying home might just be the best bet.
In May, a Freedom of Information request from Big Brother Watch showed the Met’s facial recognition had a 98 per cent false positive rate.
In other words, a lot of people might get hassled or monitored in depth simply because the AI got it wrong. They lose the right of due process.
What can we do about this invasion of our privacy?
I must agree that I feel more threatened by the intrusion of governments than by crime. But what can we do?
The techdirt.com article says that only option is stay at home. That’s a bit restrictive but staying out of places that have cameras might be a good idea.
Soon we’ll have to forget air travel if we want privacy, if in fact there is any privacy left in that sector. Delta Airlines announced a new face-scanning check-in system at Atlanta’s airport.
We’ll have to forget smartphones and public transport… maybe even banking. Facial recognition is used to unlock Apple’s latest iPhones and enable payments.
Forget about getting a photo on Facebook which scans millions of photos every day to identify specific users.
Don’t be a tourist in Washington D.C. either. The US Secret Service is said to be developing a facial-recognition security system for the White House.
Perhaps these systems will guarantee not to link up their data with the government and other AI systems? Err… I think we have heard promises like that before. It’s probably best to assume that if your picture is anywhere on a connected computer system, you can and will be tracked.
I lament our loss of privacy and seriously doubt that it’s leading us to a safer braver new world. My concerns are the future will be more like in the book… Brave New World.
History is simply too littered with examples of the people in government using too much power for their own hidden agendas.
For now I stick to a flip phone and stay in Smalltown USA. This helps privacy on the street.
If you feel deeply concerned about facial recognition, an article at Survivapedia.com (4) suggests 6 ways to foil this intrusion.
Camera finders (cars in the UK use them like radar detectors already), sunglasses & baseball hats, hoods, changing hair and makeup and even sunglasses with near infrared led lights are among the suggestions. One pair of eyeglasses designed by professors Isao Echizen and Seiichi Gohshi of Kogakuin University has an array of 11 NIR LEDs in front of the face to blind digital cameras.
Other suggestions include retro-reflective clothing, accessories, burqas, URME Prosthetic Masks and balaclavas. Some of these might draw more attention than not.
Whatever works now… expect the AI to catch up so this will get harder so we’ll keep looking for answers to share here with you.
Live Anywhere – Earn EverywhereHow to Gain Extra Freedom – While Almost Everyone Loses Theirs. Profit from post COVID-19 trends.
I invite you to join Merri and me in expecting the world to get better… to live and earn based on that expectation but… to also prepare for bad times as well as good.
Just in case… the world goes sideways again, we will still survive and prosper.
We do not give up anything much. We can enjoy the good parts of the new economy, as we protect ourselves from what can be bad.
For example in my report “Live Anywhere-Earn Everywhere”, you’ll see how to make your dining room table bring you more control, more time, more income and more freedom. After all, what can be more accessible than a dining room table?
Dining room tables we worked from (and we also sold the tables for a profit).
You’ll even learn how to turn dining room tables into income and tax deductions as we have with these dining room tables we build out of local wood.
Let me be clear. I expect that the world will get better, at least for the few who adapt and avoid the dangers that the changes from the COVID pandemic will bring.
The wealth of the world, albeit with inequality, will continue to grow. This collapse of the global economy will bring an incredible new opportunity for those who know what to do. Thes profit making avenues offer enormous income potential and even work well in disaster scenarios.
Let me provide one simple, concrete example. Ginseng.
This is a great health root. The demand is growing especially in China. At times good dried Ginseng sells for $1,000 a pound! This is an incredible and easy crop to grow. The less care you give it, the more valuable it can become. Yet if everything goes south, the health qualities will be good to have and make it an excellent barter item. Once you know what to do with ginseng, it’s easy to grow in your back yard.
Even better one of the best kept secrets is that ginseng and 125 other medicinal crops that are currently unsustainable but can be grown on land that is extraordinarily cheap.
Ginseng we grew in our back yard. I know about growing ginseng through experience and explain why and how in the report “Live Anywhere – Earn Everywhere”.
Loquats are another example of an easy to grow crop that help promote natural health.
Here I am by one of the many loquat trees at our Florida farm.
Loquats are a great fruit for making jam and such, but the loquat leaf has amazing medicinal qualities. Its is a registered medicine in China and due to its anti viral and respiratory system enhancing qualities has an especially growing demand right now. The images below from Amazon.com show that the leaves sell for about a dollar per leaf!
I have many trees on the farm but started growing loquat seedlings last year.
Loquat leaf tea has become really important during the pandemic due to its respiratory strengthening qualities.
I have been drinking a lot of home made loquat leaf tea during the pandemic.
The report “Live Anywere-Earn Everywhere” shows specific places that reduce your living expenses, easily increases your income, makes you smarter, healthier and provides tax benefits as well.
There are specific places where property is especially inexpensive, now because previous owners do not know about the special qualities created by the pandemic.
Learn about these specific places. More important learn what makes these places special and seven freedom producing steps that you can use to find other similar spots of opportunity.
Here are some of the experiences this report shares:
The report includes a tax and career plan broken into four age groups, before you finish school, from age 25 to 50 – age 50-to 65 and what to do when you reach the age where tradition wants you to re-tire. (Another clue-you do not need to retire and probably should not).
The report is very specific because it is about what Merri and I, our children and even my sister and thousands of our readers have done and are doing.
Live Anywhere – Earn Everywhere focuses on a system that takes advantage of living in Smalltown USA, but earning globally.
- Learn about the magic of the north facing slope. This is where Merri and I live almost half of our time. North facing mountain land is some of the least expensive in the world but has hidden values that the report reveals. There is a lot of this land and a lot of hidden value that you can tap. When we bought our Blue Ridge farm (252 acres) I mentioned this to my Swiss banking friend. “That’s bigger than the entire village where I live!” was his response. Smalltown USA offers a last chance at having a lot of space. By living in two Smalltown places there are enormous tax advantages as well. One step in the system saves Merri and me over $28,345 in taxes a year.
The report shows how to buy cheap north facing slopes and create an income producing tiny home for $29,000 or less.
If you lack the $29,000 to invest, a start up using tents is even less. These are tipis we put up at our farm before we built our first tiny home. Learn how they can create tens of thousands of dollars in income for you.
- See ways that small businesses like Tipi rentals can be enhanced by the pandemic but also create BIG tax savings as well as extra income. For more than 30 years Merri and I have enjoyed a strong six figure income, some years more, in the millions. Yet there have been very few years when we had to pay federal income tax. The report lays out a three structure program and how it is used when you are in school (up to age 30), then from 25 to 50, 50 to 70 and beyond 70. Learn why Chapter C corporations and pensions can be better than the normally recommended Chapter S. See how new mileage log rules gives you a possible opportunity to increase your tax deductions using IRS Form 4562. Using a two-vehicle strategy you can gain $12,976 in new deductions even if you do not have to drive one mile further or spend one additional penny on your car.
- See how a greenhouse can help you eat better and be healthier, plus provide income and a tax deduction and be funded by a government grant.
Our North Carolina greenhouse.
Our Florida greenhouse.
- There are similar benefits from having a second home office defined in IRS publication 463 and IRS publication 587, even if your desk is a dining room table. The report also shows how your dining room table can become an actual income producer as its creates a huge tax deduction at the same time, not to mention a great place to eat, work and lay out plans for a brighter, safer more lucrative and enjoyable future.
- Living in this environment is also healthier, economically as well as physically. You’ll see in the report how researchers at Harvard found an amazing correlation between living in conditions found on north facing slopes, longevity and mental health. The researchers were quite surprised by this strong correlation that also extended into mental health. In addition to feeling better, reducing stress and having more Joie de Vivre the places outlined in “Live Anywhere-Earn Everywhere” can help you avoid hospitals, high cost disease management (aka health care) and BIG pharma while providing an investment opportunity in three plants that have some of the fastest growing demand in natural health care. These three plants are just one of seven business opportunities that can create multiple streams of income.
- How changes in cell phone and internet technology eliminated the need to be in one place. An old law that creates new opportunity for small business in small towns is available to everyone.
- Use the specific search and purchase guide. Construction plans are included that show how to generate first tier income that leads to five, second tier avenues of earnings.
- How to pay off old debt and avoid new debt by avoiding spurts and embracing value.
- Learn seven skills that will always have value. See how to turn First Aid, medicinal plants, hospitality, food, trees, alternate energy and writing to sell into everlasting, low stress wealth.
This pond we created at our farm brought us pleasure but also helped create a safe, healthy food supply, extra income and a tax deduction as well.
This may be the most important report I have written in 50 years. The information is certainly the most urgent. Do not delay. The risks are upon us right now and you’ll understand how the final steps of the alliance are taking place as you read the current news.
To take any risk out of gaining this urgent information with my full satisfaction or money back guarantee. If you are not totally happy, simply let me know. I guarantee you can ask for a full refund any time within 60 days and I’ll refund your payment in full, no questions asked.
You can keep the reports as my thanks for ordering it.