Our International Investing and Business courses include ideas on how to start your own small internet business.
Michelle Toole, a student of our International Investing and Business course started her own small internet business and wrote:
“Gary, I gained a lot from your course and have exciting news. According to outside ranking sources my site; healthy-holistic-living.com is in the TOP 1% of all web sites on the internet today for traffic statistics!
“Simply put my year and half old, little, one man show web site has more traffic coming to it than most web sites on the internet today! You can check out my results at http://results.sitesell-sbi.com (click on Health & Medicine) Thanks to Site Build It, I was able to accomplish this without the expertise of a web master and in a very short period of time!
“To get technical, according to Alexa.com I am in the Top 1% out of 100,000,000 sites but in all actuality there are about 160,000,000 sites but why quibble?
“Of course garysascott.com has been in the Top 1% for quite sometime but I am nipping at your heals………..the little guy strikes again! much love Michelle.”
Your own multi currency small internet business, serving clients globally is a great way to protect against the falling US dollar, inflation and an economic downturn. The sun always shines somewhere.
This is why we are providing a FREE course on how to develop your own small internet business written by Michelle Toole.
Here is her 28th lesson:
So you want to Sell Advertising on Your Site!
By Michelle Toole
If you have quality content, a clean layout and targeted traffic you are likely to be a magnet for advertisers. Quality web sites are frequently approached by companies inquiring about placing ads on their sites.
Which raises a few questions…..Is advertising right for your site? If so, what kind of ads should you offer? And how much should you charge?
Those are all good questions, but, actually, the first and most important question is should you sell advertising? Because there are occasions when selling advertising may NOT make sense for your business…
Advertising can be a great part of your web site monetization plan, but make sure that it is right for your site and for your business goals!
• Do you target a sensitive audience? Are you concerned about the sort of image your business will portray by running ads? If so, test very carefully.
• Is your absolute #1 priority getting your message to your visitors to PREsell high-value returns? For example, are you selling your services to secure tens of thousands of dollars in new client business? In that case, give advertising a pass, or test very carefully.
For those who feel advertising is a good fit, it is important to first decide what rates to charge as well as what types of ads to sell.
Let’s start with Ad Rates……
Advertising rates vary widely among web sites and niches. A site about finance or investing can demand a higher ad fee than a site about recipes. And to make things a bit more challenging there is no ‘set standard’ or fee structure. So the question is how do you calculate the value of an ‘ad’ for your site?
Here are some suggestions…
1) Take into account factors such as…
• PageRank of the page the ad will be placed
• Your site’s Alexa (alexa.com) traffic rank
• Traffic numbers for the page where the link will be located
• Keyword value (use Google Adwords link below to determine keyword value)
• Age of your site (a well established site vs. a new site).
2) Use the Google Adwords Keyword Tool (https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal) to find out what advertisers are paying for each of your important keywords.
Enter your keywords into the text field of the Keyword Variations tab. From the drop-down menu, select Cost and Ad Position Estimates.
3) Do a search for advertising rate sheets available from other sites. You will get a good idea of what your competition is charging for ads.
For example, let’s say that your niche is related to health. Simply enter these exact words into Google (or any Search Engine) without any quotes… advertising rate sheets +health
OK, so we have some idea of what to charge for advertising; now we need to decide what ad formats we are willing to sell on our site.
Your format options may include…
• Text links (priced according to keyword values)
• Banners and buttons of different sizes — most common sizes are…
o Full Banner 468×600
o Skyscraper Banner 120×600 or 160×600
o Button 120×120
• Image and text link with write-up
• Advertisement in monthly newsletter
• Video ads (if well done can be a powerful advertising medium ***but make sure you are paid well).
Offer a variety of creative options. It shows advertisers that you have a firm understanding of their needs and may boost their confidence in your ability to deliver results. Also, be open to hearing some of their creative ideas.
Selling advertising can be very lucrative for your site, but always make sure that the advertising blends well with your site theme and that it will benefit your readers. Selling advertising for the sake of ‘selling advertising’ will only decrease reader satisfaction and trust. Keep giving your readers what they want, ‘quality content’ along with quality advertisers, and you will keep your readers happy for years to come.
Look for my future articles and tips where we discuss monetization options, search engine optimization, incoming links, additional e-zine techniques, link exchange programs and much more…..
You can check out Michelle’s web site at http://healthy-holistic-living.com. To get more great tips, like the ones above and to see how and what tools she used to create a successful on-line business go to http://sitesell-sbi.com
How We Can Serve You
Join us at our Farm in the Blue Ridge. Here are delegates at a previous course with Thomas Fischer and me at our seminar hall on the farm.
Join our Import Export Tour. Here is a couple who have set up their own roving export business from this tour.
Here are delegates enjoying Ecuador’s winter sun in our open air courtyard during a course coffee break.